Friday, January 20, 2006

Doing the Western Thang (in Bangalore)

For the past 2 days, since I got to Bangalore, I've been shopping, eating American food (pizza, coffee, ice-cream), and indulging in the western-ness that is so prevalent in Bangalore. it just aint right, man!

That's for the young sales guy who was pitching his jeans to me today at the san frisco jeans company. That's also for the California grapes and plums that you can get at Nilgiri's. That's for me being a little homesick and getting those grapes.

Bangalore is all about the A-list, which I'm not on, but being a tourist, can benefit from. It aint right. And it aint right in a different way than things aint right in other parts of India.

The past 2 days here in Bangalore have been a strange contrast to our trial by fire in Amaravati. A relief, yes, to be able to enjoy the luxuries of showers, a clean place to stay, as well as the cafes where you can just leisurely have a cuppa coffee in an AC room and read the book you just bought down the street and not be bugged by twenty people between point A and point B.

Ah, I won't indulge long nor take too seriously the materialistic luxuries offered to the wealthy of the city though. Immediate relief is all, especially since I suffered another bout of loose stools and upset stomach and vomiting from some sketchy road food (sometimes you have no choice!) and being at the back of the bus on our 12 hours journey here from Amaravathi.

Can I say, too, that I was so relieved to leave the Kalachakra? And I wasn't the only one. We were all sighing with relief on the bus. Out of that furnace. I can't say that I really got a chance to experience Amaravathi, because the village was so transformed by the Kalachakra.

Had some reflections about the kalachakra on the busride here, but they warrant a separate entry, so do see.

So enough of this commercial culture! I tried to get out to Vishwa Shanti Ashram, but as Rama Mata is in Vijawada right now (ack! We were just there!), I'll try to catch her after Kerala. Tonight, moving on to Bylakuppe & Mysore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home