Friday, March 10, 2006

International Tibet Uprising Day

March 10 started off eeaarly as there were to be speeches up at Namgyal Temple followed by a march of protest from there all the way down past Dharamsala.

The crowds packed the temple for the speech. His Holiness and the prime minister of Tibet-in-exile were among the speakers.

The protest was really spirited, as we all chanted in Tibetan, Hindi, and English: "China out of Tibet" "UNO, we want justice!" "Long Live the Dalai Lama," "Release release the Panchen Lama!" "Freedom for Tibet," and the like. Different from the anti-war marches I was in in San Francisco, where we packed the entire city streets. Here, we were in a long formation streaming down the mountainsides via small wending roads that we also shared with honking taxis and the occasional cow.

Pix to come later, though I hesitate to post pictures with distinct faces. A few of the Tibetans I talked to are still wary about who gets a record of their activities. This is especially true for those who arrived in the past few years and have hopes of returning to Tibet.

I was exhausted for the rest of the day, probably not so much from marching as from lack of sleep, as I've been preparing to move to a new flat. Exhaustion plus pms usually make for a very grouchy, intolerant Sylvia, which I'm seeing more and more as just no good. I lose my temper quickly, I tend to waste energy perseverating over things that don't matter in the end, I put myself in a bad mood. I suppose it's good that I'm now conscious of these things and make an effort to remedy the situation when I can. I've been telling myself in those kinds of situations, just to go to sleep.

Meanwhile, the evening was a nice one, as Tamdin, Kanga, and I were hanging out at Kanga's place, a tiny (I mean walk-in-closet sized) room. But tiny rooms here seem to be workable. You make modest meals using 2-burner portable stoves and it warms up your room quickly. The two told stories all nigth about their drokpa days, that is, their sheepherding days. Completely blows my mind. I would have thought they were making it all up except they talked about it with the conviction that comes only from direct experience. Will write a little more about it later.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Uprising Day, Dharamsala

Image hosting by Photobucket
Uprising Day

Image hosting by Photobucket
Uprising Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home